Archive for December, 2009
Speaking of being creative, there were a few cobwebs on the exhibits page. If anyone would like a postcard from the upcoming exhibit of dance photography, let me know!
I’ve posted about this before: the only way to be creative (paint, draw, write) is to wake up before the rest of the house stirs, climb the stairs into my attic studio, and lose myself for a few minutes. But I can still count the number of times I’ve done this on one hand, because sleep is precious, too, and I’m running on all cylinders most days.
This morning, though, I woke up and couldn’t get back to sleep. So I did it: I climbed the stairs, I dipped the brushes, I worked on a painting that’s been sitting dormant too long. I played a cassette tape (remember those?) of a radio show I did once, and the songs were as true now as they were then. Meaning, I’m still the same girl inside, just : now wife, now mother, now “grown up.” Some of the old struggles are mercifully gone. New ones have risen to take their place. Yet the songs resonate still:
this is what it’s like
finding your feet again
the part of you that couldn’t
finally thinks you can
-Denison Witmer, “Finding Your Feet Again”
Well, if I could tame all of my desires
Wait out the weather that howls in my brain
Because it seems that it’s always changing
The wind’s indecision, the sorrowful rain
I was a postcard, I was a record
I was a camera until I went blind
Now I’m riding all over this island
Looking for something to open my eyes
-Bright Eyes, “Train Underwater”
I’ve been entering giveaways in hopes of winning some last minute Christmas presents. It’s always worth a try, right?
1) Love this: An Island Life is giving away a Posh Party Box. My favorite is the Sugar & Spice baking party, since it comes with cute chef’s hats. I’m tucking this idea away for a future birthday party (if Sofia likes to bake, that is!). Ended! 3) A $250 Visa Giftcard from An Island Life. Um, yes, please!? Ended!
4) Holy Love! Check out this Holiday giveaway from Fantabulously Frugal.
6) Another gift idea for my little peanut: a Playmobile set, thanks to A Little Outnumbered.
7) There are awesome giveaways all month at the Apartment Therapy websites (I’m loving the items on the Kitchn and Oh Dee Doh sites, myself!).
8) Melinda Joy is giving away a baking mix from Vintage Bakeshop. This would make a great addition to a gift basket. I want to try the Champagne cupcakes myself!
9) I enjoyed Julie & Julia quite a bit. Erin Cooks is giving away the DVD!
12) OnSugar is giving away $1000 worth of fashion items. Sign me up, please!